Pages

3 Feb 2014

Noam Chomsky - Michel Foucault debate


I am currently exploring how to put together a theoretical framework that enables a language through which I can look at phenomena (the use of criminal law to counteract domestic violence) that, in my understanding, is not just legal but mostly political. I am drawing from Foucault, particularly his use of genealogy, governmentality and the technologies of the self. I think the debate with Chomsky is a very useful way to understand Foucault's stance vis-a-vis other progressive traditions, such as the Marxist strands in which we can situate Chomsky. The discussion is not directly related to my research but I suppose it is a good starting point to have an initial historical reference for different systems of thought and it is also an enjoyable piece, even for the lay person so to speak, considering that it is not always possible to see great thinkers on video.

No comments:

Post a Comment